Throughout your time at Coastal, you will use articles, books, journals, websites, and many other works for your research assignments. Citation is how you give credit to the authors of these sources.
Choose your citation style:
- MLA - English, Humanities
- APA - Psychology, Business, Education
- Chicago/Turabian - History
- CBE/CSE - Biology, Natural Sciences
- ASA - Sociology
- APSA - Political Science
Always double check the citation requirements on your assignment to ensure you are using the correct citation style.
When in doubt contact your Professor.
Please note check your citations, examples are to help you get started, but it is your responsibility to make sure your work is correct.
1. Respect for other writers
2. Stealing is wrong
3. You have read and understand the information the writer has given you
4. Its tells your Professor you have taken the time and effort to do research on your topic
5. You want others to be able to locate the information you gathered
6. You have given credit to the writer that has contributed to the success of your paper and has helped you develop your skills as a writer
7. You have a connection to the writer
8. It helps your audience understand your argument
9. You have integrity
10. Gives you credibility
When Not To Cite
1. Common knowledge
2 general knowledge
3. Several sources agree
4. Ask yourself “does everyone know this?” Then ask someone else
5. basic facts….
6. well-known within your field of study
7. when in doubt….cite
8. it is tricky to pin down what is known and what is not…be aware
9. Cite direct quotes, paraphrasing, summarizing or information not common to the reader
10. Always double check your work