Throughout your time at Coastal, you will use articles, books, journals, websites, and many other works for your research assignments. Citation is how you give credit to the authors of these sources.
Choose your citation style:
Always double check the citation requirements on your assignment to ensure you are using the correct citation style. When in doubt, check your syllabus or contact your Professor.
The Writing Center provides one-on-one writing consultations for all Coastal students regardless of major or level of writing proficiency. They can help with proper citations and formatting of papers. See their website for hours and location.
1. Shows respect for other writers
2. You respect intellectual property
3. You have read and understand the information the writer has given you
4. It tells your Professor you have taken the time and effort to do research on your topic
5. You want others to be able to locate the information you gathered
6. You need to give credit to the writer that has contributed to the success of your paper
7. You have a connection to the writer
8. It helps your audience understand your argument
9. You have integrity
10. Gives you credibility
1. Common knowledge
2 General knowledge
3. Several sources agree
4. Ask yourself “does everyone know this?” Then ask someone else
5. Basic facts….
6. Well-known within your field of study
7. When in doubt….cite